South Lanarkshire Public Research Resources
Collections and local history resources
South Lanarkshire Leisure and Culture Museum Service collections include tens of thousands of objects, photographs and archive material relating to South Lanarkshire’s history, including some research material on Chatelherault and the Hamilton Estate. Only a small percentage of the collections can be seen in Low Parks Museum at any one time. For an overview of South Lanarkshire’s collections please go to the web page using the link on the right.
The collections online browser also has thousands of items which you can view using the link on the right.
The enquiry service can help you to find out about objects or photographs in the collections or to help with local history research. Where the Museum Service can’t assist, they will direct you to the appropriate library service who may be able to help. To make a research enquiry please go to the enquiry web page using the link on the right.
The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) Regiment
The Museum Service holds a number of primary and secondary Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) research resources which enquirers can make an appointment to view.
• War Diaries - a daily record of a Battalion's activities while on war-time operations.
• Personal diaries of soldiers and officers. These are largely unexplored, but some form part of our digitisation programme, including those of Field Marshall Wolseley.
• Enlistment Books covering the 1920s and 1930s. These have been photographed and indexed so they can be searched.
• Army Lists - annual lists of all officers serving in the British Army, indexed by personal name and by Regiment. The earliest Army List is for 1740 but the series (to the 1st Battalion’s Disbandment in 1968) is incomplete.
• Officers’ card index of all officers who served in the Regiment from 1689-1968, giving a brief outline of their military service. This is taken mainly from the Army Lists.
• Rolls of Honour of all the fallen in the British Army for both World Wars on searchable CDs.
• The four volumes of Regimental History, all of which are now out of print.
• Battalion Histories (mainly covering 1914-18). These record the war history of individual Battalions in greater detail than the Regimental History.
• The Covenanter Regimental magazine – all issues from its inception in 1922 to the present.
For more information on researching the regiment or a former soldier, please go to the research information on the Cameronians Collections website using the link on the right.
Other South Lanarkshire archive and research services
Local history, heritage and family history
The four main libraries, Hamilton Town House Library, East Kilbride Central Library, Rutherglen Library and Lanark Library all have family history and local history resources to help anyone researching their family tree or researching the history of Lanarkshire and its parishes.
Lanarkshire Family History Society are a fantastic resource for those wanting to find out more about their local family history – please see the link below.
Collections include Old Parochial Registers (OPRs), census returns from 1841 – 1901, directories, local newspaper archives, electoral registers, valuation rolls, sasines and commissariat indexes, monumental inscriptions, burial records and county and burgh records. There are also statistical accounts of all the parishes in Scotland.
See clickable links on the right for:
International Genealogy Index (IGI) - FREE
Ancestry.com – a subscription site but free in the libraries
Scotland’s People – there is a charge for using this website but vouchers can be purchased at 50% discount from the four main libraries and Stonehouse Library
If you would like to attend an introductory course in researching your family history, contact East Kilbride Central Library, Lanark Library, Hamilton Town House Library or Rutherglen Library for more information. Please note these courses cost £5.00 per person.
Reference staff in our libraries with family history and local history collections will help you get started and keep you on track.
Who to contact
Hamilton Town House Library, Reference Department, tel: 01698 452121
East Kilbride Central Library, Reference Department, tel: 01355 220046
Rutherglen Library, Reference Department, tel: 0141 613 5380
Lanark Library, Reference Department, tel: 01555 661144
South Lanarkshire Council Archives and Information Management Service
The Archives and Information Management Service, based at South Lanarkshire Council Archives and Records Centre, is responsible for the selection and preservation of records and archives relating to the South Lanarkshire area.
They select and preserve the records of Council and the local authorities that existed before South Lanarkshire came into being. They also preserve the records of local organisations, businesses and individuals. Find out more by clicking the link on the right.
The Mitchell Library, Glasgow
The Mitchell Library also hold archives relating to Lanarkshire in their Strathclyde Regional Archive as well as a vast resource on companies and newspaper archives. Find out more by clicking the link on the right.